Green Tea Pound Cake


The sale is on at Kinokuniya till late of the month. How could I miss the opportunity to get some books that I wanted?? Bought 3 more Japanese recipe books and one of them simply captured me when I first flipped through the pages. I didn't even check the price and decided to buy it. I only came to know it's pretty expensive when I was at the cashier and ready to make payment! However, I have no regrets!
.
The night itself, I couldn't wait but to try out one of the nicest looking pound on the book. There are butter, chocolate, marble, lemon, English tea, mixed fruits, orange,banana, and matcha pound cakes. Suddenly I remember I have a can of whole red bean in my pantry which called in the recipe. Hence, I made this....
.
This pound cake recipe has got a very light sponge which is very different from the usual pound cake I've tasted. With the red bean added in the cake, it gives that extra biting in the mouth. However, I find the edges are little dry. Could be my baking time a little too long? But I like the cake raised up so high, which I followed the 'trick' mentioned in the book. It's something so simple, yet I never thought of - After 20 minutes of baking, use a knife and slit through the centre to let the cake batter have room to rise up. Therefore I got that tall pound cake! After all, pound cakes are suppose to have that Volcano top effect. Well, I'll try out the rest of the pound cake recipes, see which one taste the best.
.
Ingredients:
Unsalted Butter (room temperature) 100g
Sugar 100g
Eggs 2
Baking Powder 2/3 tsp
Matcha Powder (for cake baking) 1 tbsp
Melted White Chocolate 30g
Whole Red Bean 50g
.
Method:
1.Beat butter and sugar will creamy. Add in eggs one at a time. Beat the batter till it's pale and fluffy that looks like butter cream.
2. Sift in flour, baking powder and green tea powder together to the egg batter. Use a spatula and fold them together the get a thick batter.
3. Add in the melted white chocolate to the batter and mix well. Followed by the whole red bean.
4. Pour batter into a pound cake tin (17.4 x 8cm, height 6cm) lined with parchment. Bake the cake at 170'c for 20 minutes and bring the cake out to give it t a slit in the centre, then back to the oven and continue baking for another 30-40 minutes.
5. Cool the cake on the wire rack without the tin and rest the cake side way.

Comments

homegirl said…
Hihi honeyboy, will you be sharing the recipe? :)
Cosy Bake said…
Hi homegirls,
Yes, I will post the recipe tomorrow!
Kitchen Corner said…
Wah! Quite big piece of green tea pound cake! I like green tea flavor!
Cosy Bake said…
Kitchen Corner,

Ya, I also find it very big slice for a slice of pound cake. Think the slit in the centre gives the result to have these tall slices.
homegirl said…
Thanks honeyboy!! :)

Wow, thanks for translating the japanese recipe to english for us!! :)

btw, where do you get the Nisshin Violet Flour? never heard of such flour before. can i use any substitute?

Smiles!
Cosy Bake said…
Dear homegirl,

Are you living in Singapore? If you are, you can get it from either Meidi-ya at Liang Court or Scots Isetan. But the price at Meidi-ya is cheaper , same for the Nisshin bread flour.

For pound cake you can use flour from other brand. In fact jus plain flour will also work. But whenever I make Swiss rolls or soft sponges and chiffons, I will sure go for this violet flour. My other suggestion is, use self raising flour will do for any pound cake if you have it at home. That would
save your time....
Up date me when your bakes ok?

Cheers!
homegirl said…
Yupz, I'm from sg.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Popular Posts