Apple Sweet Bread










            The softness of the bread, shows on the thin layer of it's crumb when tearing apart of each portion.




I thought I have ran out of ideas for bread making, before I came to this apple sweet bread. My intention of getting some apples was to join the last Aspiring Bakers for the month of August to make an apple pie, however, I was too busy with some cakes making and decided to give it a miss. What a pity! While I was searching through my 'Bibles' ( recipe books) , I found this apple bread which  reminded me the apple bread I've tasted during bread challenge while I was in Paris, and been hoping to find a bread recipe uses apple.

Nothing too complex in the recipe, besides the cooking part, as the apple needs to be cooked slightly before wrapped into the dough. I added some cinnamon powder during the cooking process to get an extra flavor and it did well! I would say this is pretty much a girl's bread as I notice my son and hubby didn't quite interested with the apple filling, however not, everyone loved the ultra cottony soft crumb! The bread can just make without any filling and turn into an egg loaf like those selling at the Hong Kong style bakery.


Ingredients:

Bread flour   200g
Instant yeast   4g
Sugar   25g
Butter   40g
Yolk   1
Milk   120ml
Salt  2g


apple filling:
Red apple  200g, cut into bite size.
Butter  20g
Sugar  40g


Method:

1. Cook apple, butter and sugar till apple turns soft, leave it to cool.

2. Mix all ingredients to form a rough and sticky dough, and knead by hand till the dough become smooth and springy. Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place till it's reach double the volume.

3. Roll the dough to a rectangular shape, and fill in the cooked apple then carefully roll the dough up like a Swiss roll and seal the end. Cut the filled dough in to six equal rings and place them cut side up in a 18cm round cake tin that has line and greased with butter, Let the dough rest till it reaches double the size.

4. Brush the dough with some egg wash, bake in a preheated oven 180'c for 20-25 minutes. If the top of the bread starts to turn brown, use a parchment or foil to cover the bread to prevent it getting burnt. Cool the baked bread on wire rack.  

Comments

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said…
我相信它好好吃
看卖相就知道了^^
Cosy Bake said…
蓝蓝, 谢谢你。 不妨试一试!
Anonymous said…
May I ask if we need to sift the flour before using and also if we leave it to proof, where do we do it and what do we need to cover it with?

i notice some recipes ask for the batter to be put into the middle shelf etc and some which they did not specify. So for bread, which level should we put it in and also if we do not have a fan assisted oven, is it ok?

sorry so many questions..
Amelia said…
Your bread is so soft and fluffy, with the apple filling it should be very nice.
Cosy Bake said…
Thanks Amelia! the sweet bread alone already quite flavorful, together with the apple filling it's like eating the soft version of mcdonald's apple pie!


Anonymous,

Most of my bread are baked at the lower shelf, and for those bun/ individual small bread, I would bake them in the lower middle shelf.

I only use fan assist baking when I have to bake in batches. Bread will turn brain and dry if use fan assisted heating. Covering the dough is to prevent the dough from drying.
Cosy Bake said…
Sorry , I mean the bread will turn brown...
Mary Bergfeld said…
What a remarkable bread. I've never seen the likes of it before and it really begs to be tried. This is my first visit to your blog so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary
Cosy Bake said…
Mary,

Thanks and welcome to my humble blog. I love to bake a lot, however, there more that I have yet to achieve!

I am not a very active blogger as I seldom hop around others blog, which I know I missed out a lot. Therefore I'm supposed not may blogger know about my blog in return. I have a very young son who I need to ferry him around for his activities everyday. So in time to come, I wish I could have more time..

I'm happy to share what I know and would be great if many readers would give them a try . Hope to see you more frequent here. Do update me if you ever tried any of the recipe I shared in here.
Anonymous said…
Sorry, think you missed out my question..must we sift the flour and sometimes can we substitute cake flour with normal flour?
Cosy Bake said…
Yes, in all baking we sift the flours. For bread I only use bread flour.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the reply...

Popular Posts