Hong Kong Cocktail Buns

Ready to go in the oven


Like the neat looking buns sitting in rows





Soft and buttery coconut in the soft bread



When I was very young, I often watch TVB series. In those programmes, I learnt about their tea time culture at Hong Kong tea shops (coffee shop). One of the most popular pastries is Gai Mei Bao ( Cocktail Bun), besides Polo Bao. Till many years later, when I started working and got to Hong Kong myself, the first thing I did was went to their coffee shop to experience the taste of all their buns and pastries. ( At least those I learnt from the drama series). Egg tarts, polo bun, cocktail bun....

Another very kind friend who loves baking as well, lent me a bread making book by Alex Goh. And inside has this cocktail bun recipe. So I thought it'd be great if I make my own. I didn't use the dough recipe from the book though. Cause I thought it's a bit too much work!! Did I say '' Too much work'' ?? ha ha... well, since I have an easy and quick dough recipe yet yield very soft bread, might as well I go for it! The taste of the filling is exactly the same as those I had tasted. Just the making of the coconut filling  and the Mexican topping takes a little more time. However, it's worth it!


*The filing quantity is meant for a 480g flour dough. If you are using small quantity dough, you may want to reduce the filling by half.

Ingredients:

Dough - Cinnamon Roll dough

1. After e first rise of the dough, portion the dough into 40g each and wrap in 15g of the filling. Let them prove for the last time before baking for about 40 minutes. Brush the well risen dough with egg wash, and squeeze on the Mexican topping. Finish them with a little sesame seed in top.

2. Bake them at 200'C for 15 minutes or till go brown.



*Filling:
A.
Butter     200g
Sugar   100g

B.
Plain Flour    40g
Corn Flour   30g
Milk Powder    20g
Desiccated Coconut    40g

Method:

1.Cream butter and sugar till light and creamy, add in Bs and mix them by hands. Keep the mixture in the fridge.


*Mexican Topping:
A.
Butter 60g
Sugar  50g
Pinch Of Salt

B.
Egg   1

C.
Plain Flour    85g

D.
Some Sesame Seed


Method:

1. Cream butter and sugar till well blended, add in egg and beat till smooth and creamy.

2.Mix in flour by hand and you should get a very soft paste. Keep it in a piping bag. Set it aside.

Comments

Pam said…
Wow! It looks delicious and a must try! I'm new here and so happy I found your great blog! Thanks for the recipe!
Cosy Bake said…
Hi Pam,

Welcome to my blog. Really glad you like my blog. Yes, you may wanna try this out if you like cocktail bun. Worth it!

See you again soon!
Unknown said…
My husband will love this! I can't wait to make it for him!
Cosy Bake said…
Hi Linda,

YeaH, the buttery coconut filling is simply delicious ! I'm sure you ad your family will love it!
sgcherryz said…
do you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut?
Cosy Bake said…
Sgcherryz, it's unsweetened coconut.

Popular Posts