Chocolate Sponge Cream Cake
Well, pardon me if the cake slices are not STRAIGHT. Yes, it was a small accident while I was trying to transfer the assembled cake from the turn table to the serving plate, where the cake fell off apart!! I was like ''oh no...!!'' Anyhow, I still insist that I wanna post this 'leaning tower of Pisa'! Reason being, I put in quite a bit of effort to put the chocolate sponges together, when it is soft and got to arrange them in this manner, I am not going to try making another one! At least not for the next few days or weeks.
Whatever it may look, the cake was awesome. A reliable recipe that I will always follow.
Sandwich the layers with double cream brought from London, is another bonus!
As one of the standard items to bring back from London got to be their double cream. The real stuff will always taste the best. Missing the place dearly.
3 whole eggs
80g caster sugar
65g Top flour
8g cocoa powder
20g Unsalted butter (melted)
Few drops of vanilla extract
300g Double cream for deco. ( can be more if preferred )
30g caster sugar
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk all eggs and sugar over a warm water, till sugar dissolved.
2. move away from the warm water, and whisk batter till ribbon stage. Sift in flour and cocoa powder, fold into the egg batter carefully.
3. Mix milk , vanilla and melted butter together in a small bowl, and transfer a small amount of batter to the butter and mix well, then pour back to the main cake batter, then carefully blend them together.
4. Pour the cake batter into a 30 x 30cm Swiss roll tray lined with parchment paper, and bake in the pre heated oven at 200'c for 11 minutes.
5. Turn the baked sponge out on a wire rack, and let it cool completely. Tear the parchment while it's hot.
6. Decorate the cake as desired.