Japanese Sweet Potato Bread

On days when my son has school, I would try to make bread that is more flavorful so that he could eat on the go. He loves to sit down for breakfast especially when the daddy is home. However, on those rushing mornings, he'd just have the bread or buns without any butter or jam on his way to school. 


For the past few bread I posted are all from the same recipe book that I mentioned many time lately. It has very good recipes, and I am still looking at more to try them out. This sweet potato bread  should be my fifth one from the same book. 

The recipe call for more amount of black sesame seed , but I didn't follow, as I know my son would not be very keen. So I just added 1 teaspoon instead of 1 table spoon. Just to keep the Japanese characteristic of the bread. 





 A very pretty sweet loaf that looks like a blossom. With the bits of purple of the sweet potato, added some special touch to this simple bread.










                  Here are a few simple steps in pictures, so that you may have a better idea how it's shaped.









Ingredients:

Bread Flour   200g
Yeast   4g
Sugar   30g
Butter  30g
Salt  2g
Egg yolk   1
Warm milk 120ml
Black Sesame seeds   1tbsp ( I use just 1/2tsp)


Filling:
Japanese Sweet  Potato  150g
Sugar   1tbsp
Butter 1tbsp

*cook these ingredients in microwave for 3 minutes, and drain away the excess butter using a sieve.

Methods:

1. Mix all bread ingredients together and knead by hands till it's smooth ans springy, cover the dough and let it rise for about one hour, till it's double the volume.

2. Split the dough into two equal portions and roll it flat to a rectangular . Fill the  * cooked sweet potato and roll the dough up like a Swiss roll. Make two, and join the two end together twist them up.

3. Place the shaped dough in a 18cm round cake tin, and let it rise till double the size. Slit the dough top to create some openings and butter the dough before sprinkle on some fine sugar. Bake in pre heated oven at 180'c for 25 minutes or more till it's brown.

4. Cool the bread on the wire rack without the cake tin.

Comments

CaThY said…
very pretty bread :)
MnYfoodtalk said…
It looks delicious and beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
Cosy Bake said…
Thanks Cathy!

蓝蓝,
我担心以文字解说会很不清楚。所以想用图来得容易。:)


Mnfoodtalk,

You are most welcome!
hanushi said…
Pretty shape, certainly look v soft and appetizing.
Janine said…
I agree with the rest - your bread's shape is really very beautiful and i never thought of baking a whole bread in a cake tin!
Edith said…
Thanks for the illustration. Definitely helps alot with understanding.
Cosy Bake said…
Hanushi, Janine,Edith,

Thanks! I am not quite good when comes to giving instructions in words. As i was trying to translate the rercipe and steps from Japanese! So the simplest way would be taking photos!!. I think, my future bread posts (for the japanese recipes) should use more pix to explain....

Popular Posts