Black Forest Roll Cake



I know I am going to join this month's Aspiring Baker #9 Swiss Rolling Good Time.  But I had no idea what to make! Since cherries season is still on going. I thought Black Forest would be a good choice. And it is one of the most welcomed cakes among all. I used fresh cherries to sandwich in the roll and top the canned cherries on the cake. Ya, I know most people would rather use both fresh cherries for filling topping, but I was running out of fresh ones and I happen to have some canned cherries..........
The recipe was adapted from one of my Japanese roll cake books by 津田阳子. Love her recipes and it is a very reliable books that all her roll cakes recipes turned out great! But my rolling skill still not good enough to make the cake looks as pretty though. i did not follow exactly for the cream filling mentioned in the book, as I prefer the roll cake to be lighter, just with whipped double cream and cherries. Instead of a chocolate cream filling. 


Ingredients:

Eggs    3
Yolk  1
Caster sugar   80g
Top flour   60g
Cocoa powder   10g
Melted butter   20g
Milk   30ml

Filling:
Enough cherries for both topping and filling
Double cream    250g
Caster sugar   10g


Method:

1. Beat eggs, yolk and sugar in a mixing bowl over a pot of hot boiling water, whisk till sugar dissolved. Move the bowl away from hot water and whisk the egg till ribbon stage. Sift in both flour and cocoa powder and fold in gently. 

2. Mix melted butter and milk in a small bowl, scoop a small amount of egg batter over and mix them well. Pour the butter mixture back to the egg mixture and gently combine them together. Pour the cake batter to a Swiss roll tray 29cm x 29cm lined with parchment paper. Bake in a pre heated oven at 200'c for about 12-15 minutes 

3. When the cake is cooked, remove it from the tray and let it cool on  wire rack. 

4. When the cake is cool, peel off the parchment paper and spread the top side of the cake with whipped cream and cherries. Roll up the cake to form a Swiss roll , and keep in the fridge to let the cream set. Bring the cake out after 20-30 minutes and deco the top of the cake as you wish.





Comments

Janine said…
I think your rolling skill is pretty good! The cake looks really yummy and delicious!
Cosy Bake said…
Thanks Janine. :)
ann low said…
Pretty roll and I love the decoration on top too!
Anonymous said…
I enjoy reading your blog because all your cakes are very beautiful and picturesque. Theresa
Mel said…
Lovely roll cake. And I believe it is as delicious as it looks too.
Cosy Bake said…
Thanks for all your support ladies
! I guess black forest won't go wrong!
Hankerie said…
Good stuff! I like black forest swiss roll!
hanushi said…
Black forest roll is certainly interesting.
Anonymous said…
Looks professional.

BC
Anonymous said…
Hi, beating means using a wooden spoon is it?and whisking means using an electric beater?
Cosy Bake said…
Hi anonymous , usually beat is referring to using wooden spoon or electric mixer fixed with the 'K' beater. Whisk is using Tyne balloon whisk.
Anonymous said…
Thanks, if my beater doesnt have the K beater then wat can i substitute it with ??

balloon whisk is is the one with like a hour glass shape?because mine is not really like that shape but wonder if i use the type i have, will it affect the quality?

thanks so much for your time..
Cosy Bake said…
Anonymous,

i am supposed yours is the hand held mixer? it is ok to use the balloon whisk that comes with your hand mixer. it'd work too. all the best!

Popular Posts